When a users has an corrupt Windows profile or you just want to give the user a new
profile, it’s not as easy as it was in Windows 2003, there you just go to the users direcotry and change the name of the user folder to for example username_old.
When you do the same in Windows 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2 / 2016 or 2019 the user will get a Temp folder.
To force the creation of a new user folder you do the following:
1. Log off the user you want to give a new profile.
2. change the foldername in c:\users to username_old (or something else)
3. open regedit (start -> run -> regedit)
4. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
5. In this folder you see some ‘user_sid’ folders, find the right folder matching the user you want to give a new profile. (When you open a folder you will see a key ‘ProfileImagePath’ there you can see to which user the folder belongs).
6. Press right mouse button on the folder and choose ‘Export’ (Allways good to have a backup :)).
7. Delete the folder.
Now ask the user to login again and you will see a new folder (‘profile’) is created :).
1 thought on “Windows 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 r2 / 2016 and 2019 – Create a new user profile (Terminal services / Remote Desktop)”